Blog Tour: I Believe in a Thing Called Love (Listicle)

I Believe in a Thing Called Love is a book I've been excited for since I read of the book deal on Publisher's Weekly. A book about a girl unlucky in love using k dramas as a guide to make her crush fall for her? Count me in! I raced through this hilarious, diverse contemporary novel in less than a day. I'm thrilled to join the blog tour with a listicle on the top reasons why you should buy and read this book. 
Author: Maurene Goo
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 336  pages
Publication Date: May 30th, 2017
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Macmillan
Source: Publisher
Goodreads | Amazon
Desi Lee knows how carburetors work. She learned CPR at the age of five. As a high school senior, she has never missed a day of school and has never had a B in her entire life. She's for sure going to Stanford. But—she’s never had a boyfriend. In fact, she’s a disaster in romance, a clumsy, stammering humiliation-magnet whose botched attempts at flirting have become legendary with her friends. So when the hottest human specimen to have ever lived walks into her life one day, Desi decides to tackle her flirting failures with the same zest she’s applied to everything else in her life. She finds her answer in the Korean dramas her father has been obsessively watching for years—where the hapless heroine always seems to end up in the arms of her true love by episode ten. It's a simple formula, and Desi is a quick study. Armed with her “K Drama Rules for True Love,” Desi goes after the moody, elusive artist Luca Drakos—and boat rescues, love triangles, and fake car crashes ensue. But when the fun and games turn to true feels, Desi finds out that real love is about way more than just drama.
Five Reasons Why You Should Read I Believe in a Thing Called Love

1. Desi Lee - Desi is a protagonist who has - so far - been unlucky in love. She's one of those people that has embarrassing things happen all the time, and you can't help but good-naturedly groan and chuckle when you hear her past stories. She's also such a hard worker, and I love her nerdiness. I love that Desi embraces who she is and flawlessly owns her brains and drive. She doesn't come off as a snooty know-it-all, but it's so cute that she knows so much random knowledge about everything!

2. Father/Daughter Relationship - Her relationship with her father is the cutest thing ever! I love their support for one another. They watch k-dramas together and make food together, and it's absolutely the cutest thing ever. 

3. Friendships - Desi has such great friends. Fiona and Wes back her up for all of her crazy ideas and build her up whenever her confidence is low and keep her in check when she spins out of control or doubts herself.

4. Korean Dramas - This book stood out to me mainly because of the k drama aspect. I've never actually seen a k drama before, but I know that there is a huge fanbase and culture surrounding them. Now because of this book I can't wait to watch my first k drama! I think k drama fans will love all of the references dropped in this story along with Desi's step-by-step guide to making a guy fall in love with you as seen on k dramas.

5. Romance - The romance in this book is the sweetest, most swoon-worthy thing I've read in awhile. I love the idea of first love, and to watch Desi recreate k drama elements to attract her love interest is equal parts hilarious and sweet. There are so many light-heated, fun scenes mixed with some deeper, more intense moments. Desi and Luca are so adorable together!

I hope you read and love this book just as much as I did! I Believe in a Thing Called Love comes out on Tuesday! 

Schedule:

5/24 YABiBliophile
5/25 Love Is Not a Triangle
5/26 Gone Pecan
5/27 Live Love Read
5/28 A Perfection Called Books
5/29 YA Wednesdays
5/30 Avid Reader

Are you a fan of k-dramas? Which ones are your favorites? Have you read this book yet?
Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this book around, but didn't know much about it. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one and I loved reading your list of reasons to check it out. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh this does sound great! I haven't actually seen a k-drama but I know tons of people who are absolutely obsessed with them, so I'm pretty curious?! I want to try one someday.😂 And I'm glad this book worked out so well for you! It sounds really cute and fun. :D

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)